Of all the things you could do to be healthier, nothing comes close to Intermittent Fasting in terms of results. On the flip side, constantly eating is probably the worst thing you can do for your health.
Feel your best
There is a ton of information on Intermittent Fasting out there. Some of it might even be conflicting. Don’t get overwhelmed. Intermittent Fasting (IF) is simple. This is a quick-start guide to help you get on the path to "Feeling your best with Intermittent Fasting".
Our goal is to go from burning sugar to burning fat for energy. By doing IF, we give our bodies a chance to burn some of its fat. We do this by eating only two meals a day between 12pm and 6pm.
Get started right away:
- Push breakfast closer and closer to lunch, until you are able to skip breakfast altogether.
- Plain black coffee or tea is ok in the morning. No sugar or milk. Water is always ok.
- Eat your first meal at 12pm or later. Eat your second meal no later than 6pm.
2 meals. One at 12pm, one at 6pm. That’s it! That’s Intermittent Fasting.
- For real results, it is critically important to do healthy IF. This means eating a keto, paleo, or similar low-carb diet.
- To do healthy keto or paleo with intermittent fasting, eat this:
- As much salad as you can eat. You will be eating lots of salad on healthy keto. Drizzle your leafy greens with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Add seeds, cheese, and nuts. Kick it up a notch with some spices or dried herbs.
- Raw or lightly cooked veggies. If you do a big salad for lunch, do about 3-4 cups of veggies for dinner. Avoid starchy ones like squashes and potatoes. Pretty much all other veggies are good, especially the cruciferous ones like cauliflower, cabbage, kale, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, and other green leafy vegetables. To keep things interesting, remember, spices are your friend.
- 3-6 grams of high quality protein (about the size of your palm). This could be 2-3 eggs, grass-fed beef with some fat in it, bacon, organic chicken with skin, wild-caught salmon, etc.
- Healthy fats like nuts, seeds, cheese, olive oil, avocados. And butter, lots of butter! Eat it straight, or melt it on anything you like - it’s only going to make it better ;). Note, the paleo diet does not include dairy. So skip the cheese. There is some debate as to whether grass-fed butter is ok with paleo. I say “go for it!”
- Some important tips:
- Get grass-fed/organic/pasture-raised meat, as much as possible. We are going high-quality, not high quantity.
- Don’t overeat protein. Your body will convert excess protein to glucose - the very thing we want to limit.
- Don't get obsessed with counting carbs and other macros. Just focus on eating the right things.
- Have a little piece of nice dark chocolate after lunch (70% or higher cocoa). The pleasure that it brings actually helps your body absorb the most nutrients from your healthy meal. Psychology plays a big part in eating well for the long term.
- First few days of IF will require self-discipline. These drinks are your friends when your hormones kick in and make you feel fake hunger between meals:
- Green tea
- Ginger tea
- Peppermint tea
- A small espresso
- After a week or so of IF, start doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) exercises in the fasting window. Do this several hours before you break your fast. This will speed up weight loss. If you are happy with your weight and want to gain muscle, do strength training right before your first meal of the day.
Remember, your body is perfectly capable of running on two meals a day. In fact, there are some people who eat only one meal a day. You will be amazed how much time is freed up when you only have two meals to worry about. You will eat less than you did before, so you want to make sure to get all the nutrients you need by eating a healthy keto, paleo, or similar low-carb diet.
Make the switch to Intermittent Fasting and stick with it for the long term. You will be well on your way to feeling your best.
Next, read why Intermittent Fasting is so effective.
Then, checkout how to to do a healthy keto with intermittent fasting for the best results.