What is keto?
Ketosis, or keto, means changing the fuel that your body runs on from sugar to fat.
Why should I do a keto diet?
With keto your body burns fat for energy instead of storing it away in the liver and around your belly. There are a ton of benefits from doing this:
- With keto your body runs on ketones, not glucose. Ketones are a better fuel than glucose for your body to run on. You don’t suffer from mood swings. You don’t feel tired and grouchy.
- It targets belly fat. It is much more effective at reducing belly fat than other diets.
- Once your body is in ketosis, you lose cravings and hunger. This makes it much easier to stay on the keto diet, unlike other ways of eating. Keto is a sustainable way of eating.
What is intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting is simple: everyday, there is a short window of time in which you eat, and a long window of time in which you don’t eat. Between 12pm and 6pm is a good eating window. This gives you 18 hours of not eating, or fasting.
Why should I do intermittent fasting?
Every time you eat, the level of insulin spikes in your body. Insulin is the hormone that tells your body to store fat. Intermittent fasting reduces insulin. The benefits of lower insulin include:
- A flat belly. More energy. Generally, a better looking and better feeling you.
- Clarity of mind, improved memory and focus, and better cognitive function.
- A healthier immune system so you avoid getting sick, and you can better fight off chronic diseases.
How do I get the best results from keto and intermittent fasting?
- Start out by eating 3 meals a day. Eat a few carbs, a little more protein, and a whole lotta fats.
- Over the next 3-4 days, work your way to our desired state: Eat 2 meals a day, one at 12pm, and one at 6pm.
- For each meal, eat very few carbs, moderate amount of protein, and a good amount of healthy fats. For example you can eat a big salad with olive oil and cheese, an avocado, a handful of nuts, and 3 eggs. Then enjoy a piece of dark chocolate.
- We don't recommend counting carbs, but the general advice out there is to keep carbs in the 20-50g per day range. We think it's better to eat keto-friendly foods and reduce carbs as needed to get the result you want. This helps psychologically. You avoid feelings of guilt or deprivation by not getting obsessed over the numbers.
- Speaking of salads, eat 6-7 cups of salad with the first meal of the day, and 3-4 cups of veggies with the second meal. This is where you get your necessary vitamins and minerals. Salads have negligible carbs. Eat as much as you can.
- Workout during your fasting window. Do short bursts of high intensity (HIIT) exercise with appropriate rest intervals. This will help you burn more fat and build muscle. See the link below for the top 10 most effective HIIT exercises.
- Be consistent. This is a lifestyle change. It is fine to eat and drink whatever you want at the occasional party, date, vacation, etc. It will blow you out of ketosis. Work your way back.
- Keto, or ketosis, means your body runs primarily on fat, not sugar.
- Insulin is a hormone that tells the body to store fat. A keto diet with intermittent fasting helps lower insulin.
- Keto helps you burn fat and lose weight. It has important immune system and brain function benefits.
Next, read how Golden Keto is a joyful keto.
Then, check out this article on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Together with keto and intermittent fasting, HIIT will get you looking and feeling great.