In households all across India, where I grew up, turmeric milk is the first line of defence against colds, fevers, coughs, the flu, or just about any ailment (basically it’s the Indian Robitussin, for you Chris Rock fans). Whether turmeric milk helps cure any of these conditions is debatable, but turmeric’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory health benefits are scientifically proven (National Institutes of Health article). And after decades of enjoying turmeric milk regularly, I can personally attest to the soothing ability and dynamite taste of this delicious beverage.
Here's a recipe that involves "pulling" the turmeric milk. Pulling oxygenates the drink, making it taste smoother and creamier.
Pulled turmeric milk recipe
Ingredients for 1 serving
- 1 cup oatmilk or other plant-based full fat milk. (Healthy fats help your body absorb more Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper. (Piperine, the active compound in black pepper, dramatically increases the body's absorption of curcumin)
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 dashes of honey (or vegan-friendly maple syrup)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan with a spout or lip, and stir frequently over medium heat.
- Heat the contents to just below boiling, then remove from heat.
- Here’s a little trick to make it a frothy latté: pour the turmeric milk from the saucepan into a tall cup or mug. Now pour it back in the saucepan. Repeat a few times. As you pour, try to “pull” the container that you are pouring from away from the container that you are pouring into. This technique is called dhaar in the region in India where I come from. Think of it as a poor man’s milk frother (check out these tea-pulling pros).
Enjoy your frothy, creamy turmeric milk!
Want more ways to incorporate superfoods like turmeric and cardamom in your diet?
- This smoothie includes spinach, ginger, sunflower seeds, turmeric, and cardamom. Make one for breakfast everyday!
- Stock your pantry with Golden bars. These bars are the ultimate fuel for pre/post workout, or when you are on the go, or just need a midday energy boost.